Monday, July 19, 2010

Thoughts on Europe Thus Far

So I figured now would be a good time to express my random thoughts on Europe so far.  I am pretty much in love with this continent, and I cannot wait to come back again.  I texted my dad one night “I really love it here. I don’t want to come home. I kind of want to do a semester back here.” The only reply to this I got was “no.”  I am hoping that stance meant something like no, sorry Tyler you have to come home at least for now…  I am not sure exactly why it is that I love this place so much, but it is probably a compilation of the history, the art, the shows, the architecture of the building, the ever-widening possibilities of things to do, but mainly the British accent.

With that said though there are a few things I cannot stand about Europe.  I am not sure why they are still stuck in the Middle Ages when it comes to personal hygiene.  Deodorant is very effective in reducing body odor, but it only works after someone puts it on.  Not to be rude, but when standing in a cramped and hot metro it becomes a problem. Deodorant was a hard thing to find when I was in pharmacy stores, so I am glad I brought extra with me.  Here’s a tip: if you have a favorite brand of deodorant/ want deodorant at all, make sure you bring extra with you because you wont find it in Europe.

The other thing that I find very puzzling is the European obsession with the murse (man-purse.)  Not only does each of them have one, but they are all designers brands like Gucci, Louis Vuitton, or Calvin Klein.  I am not sure why a wallet no longer works in Europe and they need a purse to carry everything, but my best guess is because they use so many more coins for currency that we do in America and therefore they need a bag to keep them in.

I also feel bad for parents of teenage girls in Europe.  I don’t know what it is, or how they afford to do this, but when I went to Harrod’s or walked around main streets these girls would be holding their arms straight out and loaded to maximum capacity with various shopping bags. 

Public restrooms in Europe are not the same as in America.   They are not every one hundred yards and they are NOT free.  Often they cost a pound twenty to use and you have to go thru a turnstile to use them.  Some restaurants also do not have restrooms inside of them.  My suggestion is to always carry change with you in case you need to take a break and use the loo.

The last thing: I really do love baguette sandwiches, especially because they come with so many options for cheese and meat, but I am starting to get sick of them.  Crispy bread with a few slices of meat, Brie, and salad is getting old fast. I am really starting to have a craving for a thick burger, a steak, a burrito from Pelon’s, and a frosty from Wendy’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment